As a hopeful adoptive parent, you may have realized that selecting an adoption agency can become an intimidating experience. With so many options and resources available, it can get overwhelming trying to figure out which agency operates in the best interest of the entire adoptive triad.
Fortunately, with some research, professional guidance, and intuition, you can turn your search into a wholesome experience. If this is your first time going through the adoption process, this guide is for you. Continue reading to learn more about selecting the right agency so you can shape your adoption story.
Types of Adoption Agencies
When thinking about adoption, it helps to know the types of agencies available. Understanding your options will go a long way in facilitating your adoption experience for you and your partner. With that said, here are the three most common adoption agencies:
- Local private agencies: Local private agencies provide one-on-one support from an adoption professional nearby in your community. Each agency operates with their set of guidelines and procedures. There are several benefits to opting for a local organization. These include individualized matching services, in-person support counseling, financial assistance, and adoption planning tailored to your needs. As far as restrictions, local agencies must follow the regulations of their state.
- National agencies: National adoption agencies offer support services and resources. Because these professionals are licensed nationally, they understand the legalities associated with cross-state adoption. Plus, prospective guardians receive access to social services staff and adoption specialists for general support.
- International agencies: If you and your partner have decided to adopt a child from a foreign country, then an international agency can get you started. When evaluating a quality international agency, check to see if your selection is accredited. International agencies with official accreditations are recognized for complying with national standards and providing high levels of adoption services.
Selecting the Right Agency
Finding the right adoption agency can go a long way in helping you avoid potential delays, scams, and/or other hindrances that may disrupt your adoption process. With this in mind, here are five crucial factors to consider when selecting an agency:
- Decide on a type of adoption
When thinking about adoption, you must first decide on the type of adoption you want. Are you hoping to adopt an infant from your local area? If so, a local adoption agency would be a wise choice. For out-of-state adoptions, check in with a national agency. There is no right or wrong answer here. The key is to remain selective and narrow down your selections based on your personal desires.
- Contact selected agencies and ask specific questions
After spending time examining your options and browsing through agency websites, get in contact with an agency. Come up with a list of critical questions so you can gain a thorough insight into what they offer and make an honest evaluation of their services. Ask the following questions in your interview:
- What are your requirements for hopeful adoptive parents?
- Do you offer pre-adoption education for hopeful adoptive parents?
- Do you provide support services for birth parents and adoptive parents?
- What is the matching process like?
- How much are up-front costs?
Consider the tone and communication of the person on the other end of the line. Their responses can provide insight into the type of community they have. Does the representative sound knowledgeable and compassionate? Do they sympathize with your concerns? If so, that is a good indicator of an organization that cares.
- Search for adoption success stories
Phone interviews are just one part of the search process. What you need is solid evidence that can back your agency’s reputation. Ask for referrals and success stories of other adoptive families. What was their experience like? Were there any complaints filed or addressed? You can also read through any online reviews to gain a better assessment of the agency.
- Look out for potential red flags
When in doubt, trust your gut. Adoption is a sensitive process that can elicit strong emotions from all parties involved. Use common sense when determining how reliable or trustworthy an agency is regarding adoption-related matters. Every organization will claim to operate in the best interest of expectant parents and adoptive families. Tap into several areas to determine how true that claim is.
Are they upfront about overall adoption expenses? Do they abide by state and national regulations? Are they trying to pressure you to select their services? Finally, remain dismissive of any organization with no affiliation with other reputable agencies.
- Seek out organizations with experienced professionals
Exceptional adoption agencies should be operated by qualified professionals with years of education, training, and experience. Staff members should remain open and honest about their professional backgrounds.
Contact Texas Adoption Center
With the right mindset, guidance, and in-depth research, you can find an agency ready to guide you and your family on this beautiful journey.
If you have any questions, Texas Adoption Center is ready to help. Our qualified specialists go above and beyond in their services. We are a wholesome community ready to empower you through your adoption process.
Contact us to get started!